Okay so while we were supposed to be focusing on archiving files we no longer needed (very boring) we were sidetracked by our 2014 Best and Worst Sunscreen Newsletter. We decided to see who was on it then and remains on it now and really felt compelled to publish it again because the same big names seem to be ignoring the health implications of the chemicals they choose to use.
Scroll all the way down to the worst sunscreens for kids and you will see the same offenders as the most recent list from May of 2016. The list for 2017 should be out in a month so it will be interesting if they are in the hall of shame again and if so they clearly are putting profit before people which we despise. If you are interested in the most recent report check out our quick list here.
HERE WAS OUR NEWSLETTER FROM 2014:
Each year our friends at EWG share their in depth reports on Sunscreens. We are all conditioned to think that all sunscreens are good for us .. this is a huge misconception. This year one brand DOMINATED the SHAME list and that brand is Neutrogena... yes we were shocked also.
More than 80 percent of Neutrogena’s products contain oxybenzone, a hormone-disrupting sunscreen filter, and one-third contain retinyl palmitate, a form of vitamin A linked to skin damage.
- The Honest Company Honest Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
- Goddess Garden Everyday Natural Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30 (they have 6 products that are ALL affordable and safe.
- All Terrain TerraSport Lotion, SPF 30
- Badger Sunscreen Cream, Unscented, SPF 30
- Block Island Organics Non-Toxic Mineral Sunscreen, SPF 40
- Adorable Baby Clear Baby Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30+
- Badger Baby Sunscreen Cream, Chamomile & Calendula, SPF 30
- Block Island Organics Baby Block Non-Toxic Mineral Sunscreen, SPF 30
- UV Natural Baby Sunscreen, SPF 30+
- Goddess Garden Baby Natural Sunscreen, SPF 30
These sunscreens are aerosol sprays with SPFs above 50+ and the harmful additives oxybenzone and retinyl palmitate.
- Banana Boat Clear UltraMist Ultra Defense MAX Skin Protect Continuous Spray Sunscreen, SPF 110
- Coppertone Sport High Performance AccuSpray Sunscreen, SPF 70
- Coppertone Sport High Performance Clear Continuous Spray Sunscreen, SPF 100+
- CVS Clear Spray Sunscreen, SPF 100
- CVS Sheer Mist Spray Sunscreen, SPF 70
- CVS Sport Clear Spray Sunscreen, SPF 100+
- CVS Wet & Dry Sunscreen Spray, SPF 85
- Neutrogena Fresh Cooling Sunscreen Body Mist, SPF 70
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Body Mist Sunscreen Spray, SPF 100+
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Body Mist Sunscreen Spray, SPF 70
- Neutrogena Wet Skin Sunscreen Spray, SPF 85+
These sunscreen lotions claim SPFs above 50+ and contain oxybenzone and retinyl palmitate - not a great combo at all
- Banana Boat Sport Performance Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 100
- Coppertone Sport High Performance Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 100
- Coppertone Sport High Performance Sunscreen, SPF 75
- Coppertone Sport Sunscreen Stick, SPF 55
- Coppertone Ultra Guard Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 70+
- CVS Sport Sunstick Sunscreen, SPF 55
- CVS Sun Lotion Sunscreen, SPF 100
- CVS Sun Lotion Sunscreen, SPF 70
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Daily Liquid Sunscreen, SPF 70
- NO-AD Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 60
- NO-AD Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 85
- Ocean Potion Protect & Nourish Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 70
These are THE WORST Sunscreens for babies and kids: (Please feel free to share this list to anyone you know so that their children aren't in harm's way)
These terrible kid and baby sunscreens have at least three strikes against them: 1) oxybenzone, 2) retinyl palmitate and 3) SPFs above 50+. Two have a fourth strike: they’re aerosol sprays that can harm sensitive young lungs. Convenient? Yes. Good for kids? Absolutely not.
Banana Boat Clear UltraMist Kids Max Protect & Play Continuous Spray Sunscreen, SPF 110
Coppertone Kids Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 70
Coppertone Kids Sunscreen Stick, SPF 55
Coppertone Kids Wacky Foam Foaming Lotion Sunscreen, SPF 70+
Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 70+
Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen Stick, SPF 55
Equate Kids Sunscreen Stick, SPF 55
Kroger Baby Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 70
Kroger Kids Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 70
Neutrogena Wet Skin Kids Beach & Pool Sunblock Spray, SPF 70+
Up & Up Kid’s Sunscreen Stick, SPF 55